1. In an effort to ensure family members seeking employment are provided consistent, quality services, the Office of the Secretary of Defense has standardized the job description for Employment Assistance Program Managers/ The standardized position descriptions are a first in the effort to provide a consistent approach to a comprehensive family support system which focuses on jointness and ensures that our clients are provided the same level and fill range of services possible regardless of where they seek the services.
2. Attached are standardized position descriptions (SPDs) for Employment Assistance Managers (TAB A), which will replace position descriptions for Family Member Employment Assistance Program Managers. Implementation instructions for both Army Community Service Centers (TAB C) and Civilian Personnel Officers (TAB D) are attached. This joint memorandum is issued to fully clarify implementation procedures in an effort to expedite the process and reduce confusion in the field.
3. These position descriptions are the result of a joint effort of members of the DOD Spouse Employment Subcommittee of the Family Policy Coordinating Committee. This committee consists of each military Service's headquarters and various other representatives, such as National Military Family Association and the State Department.
4. The memorandum at TAB B, signed by Mrs. Becraft and Dr. Disney, encourages the implementation of this joint effort and supports the importance of initiating consistency of quality service.
5. Headquarters, Department of the Army fully supports this DOD effort. Personnel performing the employment assistance functions at the journeyman level should be doing the full range of duties as specified. This supports DOD's effort to ensure all customers are provided the same level and scope of service. While we understand that not everyone will be able to implement the new SPD's immediately, we expect each of you to make a concerted effort to move toward that goal.
6. Point of Contact for Army Community Service is Mrs. Jennie Nash, DSN: 221-2644 or COM: (703) 325-2644. Point of Contact for Civilian Personnel is Mr. Stephen Rodkey, DSN: 221-6563 or COM: (703) 325-6563.
John G. Meyer, Jr.
Brigadier General, USA
Carol Ashby Smith
Deputy Assistant Secretary
(Civilian Personnel Policy)
Director of Civilian Personnel