DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
OFFICE OF THE DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF
WASHINGTON, DC 20310-0300
15 AUG 1990
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTIOM
SUBJECT: Application of Military Spouse Employment Preferences
1. The purpose of this memorandum is to transmit further clarification of policy regarding military spouse preference eligibility. The following guidance has been provided by the Office, Assistant Secretary of Defense (OASD) (Force Management and Personnel) (Civilian Personnel Policy):
- a. Spouses of three classes of new inductees are eligible to be accorded preference (see enclosure).
- b. For dual military couples where one spouse is discharged and desires to seek civilian employment at the current duty station, eligibility is not warranted. The spouse is considered to have voluntarily chosen to leave the assignment he/she had. Furthermore, to allow preference eligibility in this situation runs counter to the original intent of assisting the spouse in order to retain the soldier, and could be construed as encouraging soldiers to get out rather than stay in the military.
- c. An additional alternative source in filling vacancies regardless of the availability of spouse preference candidates is the noncompetitive repromotion of a DOD employee to the highest grade he/she previously held on a permanent basis under a career or career-conditional appointment. This source is now officially considered an additional answer to question #1 in the interim change to DOD 1400.20-1-M, Appendix 1, dated 6 Oct 99.
2. Request immediate and widespread circulation of this guidance to all civilian personnel offices and Army Community Service Family Member Employment Assistance Program (FMEAP) staff in order that they may accurately counsel military spouses.
3. We are counting to urge OASD to redo DODI 1404.12 and Appendix I of DOD 1400.20-1-M so that they are consistent and clearly reflect policy and guidance.
FOR DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF FOR PERSONNEL:
Anna E. Yurkoski, Chief
Employment and Classification