03 MAR 2010
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Delegation of Authority of Expedited Hiring Authority to Appoint Highly Qualified Persons to Shortage Category Health-care Professional Positions
- Reference: Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness) memorandum dated September 30, 2009, Subject: Delegation of Authority under Section 1599c of title 10, U.S.C. (enclosure).
- I hereby delegate to the Commanders of the Army Commands, the Commanders of the Army Service Component Commands, the Commanders/Superintendent of the Direct Reporting Units, and the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army, the authority to appoint highly qualified individuals, at all grade levels, to health-care professional positions designated by the Secretary of Defense as shortage category positions under section 1599c of Title 10, U.S.C. At present the following positions have been so designated: Audiologists, Chiropractors, Dental Hygienists, Dentists, Dietitian/Nutritionists, Expanded-function dental auxiliaries, Health System Specialists, Industrial Hygienists, Medical Instrument Technicians, Medical Technicians, Medical Technologists, Nurses, Nursing Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Optometrists, Orthotists/Prosthetists, Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, Physical Therapists, Physician Assistants, Physicians, Podiatrists, Practical Nurses, Psychologists, Psychology Technicians, Rehabilitation Therapy Assistants, Respiratory Therapists, Social Service Assistants, Social Workers, and Speech Pathologists. This authority may be further delegated, in writing, to the lowest practical level deemed necessary to facilitate the recruitment and hiring process.
- This authority must be exercised in strict compliance with Department of Defense (DoD) implementation guidance. Individuals appointed under this authority must be highly qualified, as defined in the DoD implementation guidance. The principles of veteran's preference will be applied when exercising this authority, as explained in DoD guidance.
- The Assistant G-1 for Civilian Personnel (AG-1CP) may issue additional instructions and conduct evaluations of the effectiveness of the use of this authority in meeting Army hiring needs. Should conditions warrant, I will suspend the use of this authority or rescind this delegation, as appropriate.
- Requests for designation of additional health-care professional occupations as shortage category positions must be prepared in accordance with DoD implementation guidance. You must submit any such requests through the Office of the Surgeon General to the Office of the AG-1CP. The AG-1CP will review and forward requests to me for endorsement prior to submission through the Chief Human Capital Officer, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Health Affairs), to the Civilian Personnel Management Service.
- This delegation of authority expires on September 30, 2012, unless earlier revoked or superseded.
THOMAS R. LAMONT
Assistant Secretary of the Army
(Manpower and Reserve Affairs)
OSD memorandum, 30 Sep 2009
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
US ARMY TRAINING AND DOCTRINE COMMAND
US ARMY FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY MATERIEL COMMAND
US ARMY EUROPE
US ARMY CENTRAL
US ARMY NORTH
US ARMY SOUTH
US ARMY PACIFIC
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
MILITARY SURFACE DEPLOYMENT AND DISTRIBUTION COMMAND
US ARMY SPACE AND MISSILE DEFENSE COMMAND/ARMY STRATEGIC
EIGHTH US ARMY
US ARMY NETWORK AND ENTERPRISE TECHNOLOGY COMMAND/9TH
SIGNAL COMMAND (ARMY)
US ARMY MEDICAL COMMAND
US ARMY INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY COMMAND
US ARMY CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND
US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
US ARMY MILITARY DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON
US ARMY TEST AND EVALUATION COMMAND
US ARMY RESERVE COMMAND
US ARMY INSTALLATION MANAGEMENT COMMAND
SUPERINTENDENT, US MILITARY ACADEMY
DIRECTOR, US ARMY ACQUISITION SUPPORT CENTER
US ARMY ACCESSIONS COMMAND
DIRECTOR, CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES AGENCY
DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF FOR INTELLIGENCE, ATTN: DAMI-CP
OFFICE, ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE ARMY (MANPOWER AND
RESERVE AFFAIRS), ATTN: SAMR-PO
OFFICE OF THE GENERAL COUNSEL, ATTN: SAGC
OFFICE OF THE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL, ATTN: DAJA-LE