16 Jun 2009
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Instructions for Reporting Use of the Direct Hire Authority for Scientific and Engineering Positions within Personnel Demonstration Laboratories
Reference memorandum, Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, dated December 16, 2008, subject: Redelegation of Authority under Section 1108 of the Duncan Hunter National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009 (enclosed).
The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009 authorizes DoD to appoint qualified candidates possessing an advanced degree to scientific and engineering positions within any personnel demonstration laboratory identified in section 9902(c)(2) of title 5, United States Code, without regard to certain provisions of subchapter I of chapter 33 of title 5. In any calendar year, the number of candidates appointed in any given laboratory using this authority may not exceed 2 percent of the total number of scientific and engineering positions within that laboratory that were filled as of the close of the fiscal year ending before the start of such calendar year. For purposes of this limitation, positions and candidates are counted on a full-time equivalent basis.
- Covered laboratories are required to maintain and furnish information and data on the use of this authority upon request. Additionally, laboratories must maintain and submit the following data quarterly through their chain of command to this office within 10 calendar days of the end of each calendar quarter (no later than 10 April, 10 July, 10 October, 10 January):
- For the initial report (10 October 2009) from each laboratory, in addition to the information listed below, report the number of scientific and engineering positions encumbered as of 30 September 2009. Afterwards, each 10 January report will, in addition to the information below, list the number of scientific and engineering positions encumbered as of the close of the fiscal year last ending before the start of the calendar year.
For each quarter provide the following:
(1) The number of appointments made using this authority by title,
Grade/pay band and series.
(2) The number of veterans appointed using this authority.
(3) The number of declinations and the reason for each declination.
(4) Narrative describing difficulties encountered and the effectiveness of
the authority in meeting Army hiring needs. Also provide any best practices that you establish in conjunction with the use of this authority. This may include sources of recruitment that you have used such as job fairs, professional associations, and paid advertising.
- My points of contact are Mr. Tom Donohoe and Mr. William Zeigler. Mr. Donohoe may be reached at 703-325-4463, email:
and Mr. Zeigler may be reached at 703-325-6563, email:
Assistant G-1 for Civilian Personnel
Manpower & Reserve Affairs memorandum June 02, 2009
Secretary of the Army memorandum May 22, 2009
Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness memorandum Dec. 16, 2008
DoD Instructions (PDF)