MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Delegation of Authority for Voluntary Early Retirement Authority and Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay
1. Subject to any applicable fiscal year allocations, I hereby delegate to the Commanders of the Army Commands, the Commanders of the Army Service Component Commands, the Commanders/Superintendent of the Direct Reporting Units, and the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army, the authority to approve early retirement and voluntary separation incentive pay (VSIP) for employees occupying positions up to the General Schedule (GS) 15 level (or equivalent, e.g., in demonstration projects) or any positions under the National Security Personnel System, as well as the authority to approve VSIP for non-appropriated fund employees. I also delegate to these same officials the authority to determine when and to what extent their activities will participate as potential gaining activities under the VSIP Phase II program and the authority to extend, up to 180 days, the time period required for scheduled separation under the VSIP Phase II program. For purposes of this delegation of authorities, the Principal Officials of the Headquarters, Department of the Army, their staffs and other elements, Field Operating Agencies, Staff Support Agencies, and those Direct Reporting Units not covered above (to include the U.S. Army Acquisition Support Center) fall under the purview of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army. These authorities may be delegated, in writing, to the lowest practicable level, but not lower than the local commander or activity head. This includes the authority to grant a waiver for those employees occupying a position for which special salary rates or targeted local market supplements under NSPS are approved when the approving official determines it is in the best interest of the offering installation.
2. These authorities must be exercised in strict compliance with applicable laws, policies, regulations, standards, decisions or other requirements that may be prescribed by the President, the Congress, the Department of Defense, the Department of the Army, or outside control agencies.
3. Within 14 days from the date of this memorandum, Army guidance on these authorities will be issued, including reporting requirements. The Office of the Assistant G-1 (Civilian Personnel) shall report to my office quarterly on the use of these authorities.
4. To the extent this memorandum impacts bargaining unit employees' conditions of employment, activities are reminded to meet their statutory labor relations obligations in its implementation.
5. This memorandum supersedes Assistant Secretary of the Army (Manpower and Reserve Affairs) memorandum, Subject: National Security Personnel System - Voluntary Separation incentive Pay (VSIP) and Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA), dated January 29, 2004. This delegation is effective immediately and expires 31 October 2011, unless earlier revoked or superseded.