March 24, 2005
MEMORANDUM FOR MR. MICHAEL L. VAJDA, DIRECTOR,
CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES AGENCY,
5440 STUDENT DRIVE,
ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, MD 21005-5200
SUBJECT: Improving Vacancy Announcements
- The vacancy announcement is our primary tool for recruiting, whether it is from internal or external sources. Recruiting means trying to draw qualified applicants into our applicant pool. In our continuing efforts to improve the hiring process in Army, we have fully implemented the automated system for producing streamlined vacancy announcements. It is now time to review the content of our announcements to assure that we provide the best possible information for applicants. The best way to do that is to tell them specifically where the job is located, who they would be working for, what the specific requirements (i. e., knowledge, skills, abilities) of the job are, and any other factors that would help applicants decide if they would be a good match for the job. To accomplish this, future announcements will include the following requirements and comply with this guidance.
- Major Duties: Following the description of the major duties of the position, add a subsection comprised of two paragraphs. The title of the subsection will be about the position. The first paragraph will provide the organization (including agency/MACOM, directorate, division, branch), installation or city, and state. When using a city name, specify where the position is located in the city (street address, an area within the city, a common building name). The second paragraph will begin with a sentence that provides the title(s) of the supervisor and selecting official for the position. This paragraph will provide a description of the office and working environment of the position. On an Open Continuous announcement general information may be used, but, prior to referral of a resume, the specific information on the position must be clearly communicated to the applicant.
- Qualifications/Specialized Experience: In this paragraph specify the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) that applicants must possess to be qualified for the position. The paragraph should also instruct the applicant to include in their resume how their training and experience shows they possess these KSAs.
- Other Information: Under this heading in the announcement a new paragraph will be added that describes the advantages of working for Army and benefits available in the local or commuting area in which the position is located.
- Announcements should be applicant-focused, speak directly to the reader, and written in plain English without bureaucratic terms and phrases that obscure the information. Do not simply copy the major duty paragraphs of the position description.
- Develop structured paragraphs that emphasize the most important information in the first sentence and provide the least important information in the middle. Provide complete information or tell the reader where to go to find it. You may also include links to applicable websites specific to the job or the location. Avoid the use of acronyms.
- The enclosed chart and vacancy announcement provide examples of how the information in an announcement can be presented in a more applicant-focused manner.
- My point of contact for this action is Ms. Edith Sorrell at DSN: 221-2414, commercial: (703) 325-2414, or email:
edith.sorrell@(email address expired).
ANN M. McFADDEN
Chief, Policy and Program
Enclosure 1: VA Example
Enclosure 2: Chart
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
US ARMY EUROPE AND SEVENTH ARMY
EIGHTH US ARMY
US ARMY FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY MATERIEL COMMAND
US ARMY TRAINING AND DOCTRINE COMMAND
US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
US ARMY PACIFIC
MILITARY SURFACE DEPLOYMENT AND DISTRIBUTION COMMAND
US ARMY CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND
US ARMY MEDICAL COMMAND
US MILITARY ENTRANCE PROCESSING COMMAND
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
US ARMY INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY COMMAND
US ARMY SPACE AND MISSILE DEFENSE COMMAND
SUPERINTENDENT, US MILITARY ACADEMY
U.S.ARMY INSTALLATION MANAGEMENT AGENCY
CIVILIAN HR REGION, EUROPE
CIVILIAN HR REGION, SOUTHWEST
CIVILIAN HR REGION, PACIFIC
CIVILIAN HR REGION, NORTHEAST
CIVILIAN HR REGION, SOUTH CENTRAL
CIVILIAN HR REGION, NORTH CENTRAL
CIVILIAN HR, REGION KOREA
CIVILIAN HR REGION, WEST
CIVILIAN PERSONNEL EVALUATION AGENCY
OFFICE OF THE GENERAL COUNSEL, ATTN: SAGC (MS. JOHNSON)
OFFICE OF THE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL, ATTN: DAJA-LE (MS. NUGENT)
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE ARMY (MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS, ATTN: SAMR-HR (MS. KLUH)