In establishing the agency record, it is important to have:
- Examples of work products that fail to meet previously set
- Documents which detail the time given the employee to show acceptable
performance and the assistance given.
- Examples of the employee's performance during the opportunity period.
- The various procedural steps followed in proposing and deciding the
course of action.
- Supervisor's documentation of any counseling, referral or attempts to refer
Documentation need not be excessive, but only sufficient to the case. The
Civilian Personnel Advisory Center, and in some cases, the Staff Judge Advocate's office,
can help prepare these documents so they support the recommended action in
the most effective way.