- All ICPAs should review their OWCP charge-back list and carefully note all cases where there is large dollar amount for compensation paid but zero dollars for medical expenses. These cases should be red-flagged to review and follow up with the compensation recipient.
- Below are a few things to consider if cases have been identified where compensation is being paid and there are no expenditures for medical costs:
- Has the recipient recovered and no longer requires medical care ? If so, work with OWCP to discontinue compensation.
- Has the recipient passed away? If so, notify OWCP to discontinue payments.
- It is imperative that we follow up on long-term cases. A once-a-year phone call to see how they are doing is the least that we, as representative of Department of Army, should do for them. Where there is a death case, we would not expect to see any medical costs from the survivor. However, a phone call to the survivor is an excellent thing to express interest and caring and also to verify the survivor is still alive. Bottom line: don't count on OWCP to do this for you. Make it an annual routine to contact the recipient at his/her home. Locating the home phone may present some challenges since often long-term recipients have moved since the original CA-1 was filed. A few suggestion for locating updated phone numbers:
- Use the internet such as Yahoo People search
- Also try http://www.whitepages.com
- Consult your legal office to search in WestLaw or LexisNexis for you
- Once you have made contact with the recipient, put a note in the case file, indicating date of contact and any additional information obtained. If important information is found, write a memo to OWCP (with claim number at top of memo) and mail to London, KY.
- Follow these procedures and you will surely see positive results with your long-term caseload. If you have any questions concerning the information provided, please contact Mr. Anthony Lawrence at 703-806-3855 or DSN 656-3855
Category: Employee Benefits Information & Advice
Injuries At Work : OWCP Charge-back Lists
Content last reviewed: 02/08/2017-AEL