MAR 03 2006
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Army Civilian Voluntary Leave Transfer Program - Waiving the Limitation on Donating Annual Leave
- Section 630.908 of Title 5, code of Federal Regulations, limits the amount of annual leave that an employee may donate under the Voluntary Leave Transfer Program (VLTP). The limitations under paragraphs (a) and (b) of Section 630.908 may be waived under criteria established by the agency. The purpose of this memorandum is to (1) delegate to Commanders of Army Commands, Commanders of Army Service Component Commands (ASCCs) and the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army (AASA) the authority to waive the limitations on the amount of annual leave donated; (2) establish criteria and procedures for waiving the limitations; and (3) establish a reporting requirement for the Deputy Chief of Staff, G-1.
- I am delegating to Army Commanders, Commanders of ASCCs, and the AASA the authority to waive limitations on donating annual leave under paragraphs (a) and (b) of Section 630.908. Waivers granted must be in accordance with the criteria and procedures outlined below. This authority may be further delegated to the lowest practicable level, but no lower than the second line supervisor of the leave donor.
- Following is the criteria for granting a waiver:
- Waivers should only be granted when there are very compelling and/or exceptional circumstances, to be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- When the waiver is granted, the donor must have at least sixteen (16) hours remaining after the proposed donation.
- Waivers are not to be granted solely to avoid the forfeiture of annual leave.
- The following procedures must be followed when granting a waiver:
- Waiver requests must be submitted through the donor's supervisor, in writing, and must indicate the number of excess hours requested for donation.
- The intended leave recipient, identified in the request, must be an approved VLTP recipient.
- Upon receipt of the written request for waiver, with the assistance of the of the servicing personnel office, the donor's supervisor will verify that that the donor has sufficient leave to cover the proposed donation and will verify that the recipient is an approved VLTP recipient. Annual leave donated must have already have been earned (accrued) and be available at the date of donation.
- The request for waiver will be forwarded to the appropriate approving official along with the supervisor's recommendation.
- All waivers must be granted in writing.
- The Deputy Chief of Staff, G-1, will monitor the exercise of this authority and will submit an annual report to the Deputy Assistant Secretary (Human Resources), beginning March 2007. The report will provide the number of waivers granted, the amount of leave donated under each waiver, and a description of the circumstances justifying each waiver.
- Please ensure that all statutory labor relations obligations are met in implementing this authority. The delegation is effective immediately and expires two years from the date of this memorandum unless earlier revoked or superseded.
Daniel B. Denning
Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary
(Manpower and Reserve Affairs)
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
US ARMY EUROPE AND SEVENTH ARMY
EIGHTH US ARMY
US ARMY FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY MATERIEL COMMAND
US ARMY TRAINING AND DOCTRINE COMMAND
US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
US ARMY PACIFIC
MILITARY SURFACE DEPLOYMENT AND DISTRIBUTION COMMAND
US ARMY CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND
US ARMY MEDICAL COMMAND
US MILITARY ENTRANCE PROCESSING COMMAND
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
US ARMY INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY COMMAND
US ARMY SPACE AND MISSILE DEFENSE COMMAND
CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES AGENCY
CIVILIAN HR REGION, EUROPE
CIVILIAN HR REGION, SOUTHWEST
CIVILIAN HR REGION, PACIFIC
CIVILIAN HR REGION, NORTHEAST
CIVILIAN HR REGION, SOUTH CENTRAL
CIVILIAN HR REGION, NORTH CENTRAL
CIVILIAN HR, REGION KOREA
CIVILIAN HR REGION, WEST
CIVILIAN PERSONNEL EVALUATION AGENCY
OFFICE OF THE GENERAL COUNSEL, ATTN: SAGC (MS. JOHNSON)
OFFICE OF THE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL, ATTN: DAJA-LE (MS. NUGENT)
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE ARMY (MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS),
ATTN: SAMR-HR (MS. KLUH)