The Pace Award is presented annually in the name of former Secretary of the Army Frank Pace, Jr., who served as Secretary from 12 April 1950 through 20 January 1953. The award recipients will receive a Pace Award certificate mounted on a plaque and a pen set. Individuals selected as runners-up for the award will receive a Certificate of Achievement signed by the Secretary of the Army.
The purpose of this award is to give special recognition to both a civilian employee and a military officer officially assigned to Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA) for a contribution of outstanding significance to the Army that occurred during the calendar year. The individual contribution must be the result of the nominee's personal efforts, not the collective effort as head of a staff unit.
Any Army civilian employee, GS-14 equivalent or below, or any military officer, lieutenant colonel or below, who is officially assigned to HQDA in a staff capacity at the close of calendar year 2012 is eligible for nomination.
Basis for Selection
Eligible personnel will be nominated and considered in accordance with the following criteria:
- Completion of a significant task or staff assignment during calendar year 2012 that brought benefit to the Army,
such as a great improvement in service, substantial financial savings, or significant technological or military development.
The accomplishments should include efforts above and beyond the routine tasks the individual performed on a daily basis.
- Performance of assigned duties and responsibilities in such a manner as to have demonstrated outstanding executive, scientific, or technical abilities.
Nomination of Candidates
Principal Officials of HQOA are invited to submit nominations. Nominations must be submitted to the Human Resource Management Directorate via e-mail to email@example.com.
NOTE: Any temporary duty travel associated with receipt of the award will be the responsibility of the nominating organization.
What to Submit
A cover sheet containing:
the nominee's name, title, grade or rank, organizational location, and length of service;
a brief description of the nominee's current duties and responsibilities, including the scope of work; and
- a point of contact (with telephone extension) for the nomination package.
- the nominee's name, title, grade or rank, organizational location, and length of service;
- A written statement of justification that is:
no more than two pages in length (prepared in Arial 12 point); and
- As specific as possible and succinctly lists the nominee's significant contributions and their effects. Additional materials are not permitted as enclosures.
- no more than two pages in length (prepared in Arial 12 point); and
A proposed citation consisting of up to 100 words highlighting the significant achievements of the nominee.
The citation will be placed on the Pace Award certificate to be signed by the Secretary of the Army.
A DA Form 1256 (Incentive Award Nomination and Approval). Nominating officials will ensure that Part I of the DA Form 1256
is completed. Block 5a (Other) should specify "PACE AWARD". PRINCIPAL OFFICIALS must sign Block 10 of the form.
- Biography. The nomination packet must include a biography.