March 23, 2011
SUBJECT: Travel Arrangements for the Family Members During the Voluntary Authorized Departure from Designated Areas of Japan (UNCLASSIFIED)
- In conjunction with making travel arrangements for family members during the voluntary authorized departure from designated areas of Japan, city-pair carriers may become overloaded with requests for seats and Commercial Travel Offices (CTOs) may not be able to provide timely seating for onward movement of passengers.
- Authority has been granted from the Per Diem, Travel and Transportation Allowance Committee Chair to use other than city-pair airfares under certain conditions to enable the family members departing voluntarily from Japan to be provided timely onward air routing.
- To enable appropriate travel arrangement support to be provided for transporting family members to their ultimate safe havens, the following exception to the city-pair airfare contract (cited from JFTR/JTR, Appendix P is invoked to enable timely completion of their travel purpose: "Space on a scheduled contract flight (including a confirmed pet space) is not available in time to accomplish the travel purpose".
- This exception permits the least expensive unrestricted economy-/coach-class airfare on a U/S.-certificated air carrier to be used if a city-pair airfare is not available for use within 6-hours of arrival at a CONUS aerial port of debarkation (APOD) from Japan.
- Travel arrangements in response to voluntary authorized departures cannot be made in the Defense Travel System (DTS). When a voluntary authorized departure has been ordered, travel orders must be prepared manually or processed through your legacy travel system. In accordance with the JTR/JFTR, it is mandatory to use a Commercial Travel Office (CTO) for all official transportation. DTS does not have the required functionality to process any documents associated with departure travel for family members.
- The use of a government travel credit card to cover expenses during departure is not authorized. The government travel credit card can be used by employees performing official business in a temporary duty status. It cannot be used to cover family member expenses. Individuals should maintain a record and receipts for expenses related to the departure.
- Current arrival locations (APOD - Aerial Port of Debarkation) have been established at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and Travis Air Force Base, California. The arriving families, including their pets are being met by military representatives from U.S. Army North, who help them with follow-on arrangements that could include temporary lodging, food, and other support requirements.
- Please disseminate this guidance within your command. Please visit our new website: http://cpol.army.mil/japan2011/