Emergency HR Guidance & Alert Information
Japan Travel News Flash
- Transportation will be provided for up to 12 months following the departure.
- Safe Haven Allowance expire 10 days after USD notification.
- EFMS OF Civilian employees personnel will not return if member within 30 days of PCS.
- EFMs with dependent children in school can be extended to the last day of the school.
- The Defense Travel Management Office (DTMO) will be available to support after hours questions via the Travel Assistance Center (TAC). The TAC provides support to travelers before, during and after travel and is prepared to support this operation. The TAC can be reached at 1-888-Help1-Go (1-888-435-7146) or 1-809-463-3376. If you are calling from overseas, you can now directly dial the TAC at 1-888-Help1Go from any DSN line. Japan Post Differential Corrections Will Be Published April 10
- 10% Post (Hardship) Differential for Tokyo - See Memo/Message Section
- New Fund Cite Information - See ALARACT 116/2011 - Memo/Message Section
- The use of other than city-pair airfares under certain conditions has been granted to enable the family members departing voluntarily from Japan to be provided timely onward air routing.
- Travel arrangements in response to a voluntary authorized departure of family members cannot be made in the Defense Travel System (DTS).
- The use of a government travel credit card to cover expenses during a voluntary authorized departure of family members is not authorized.
Information and Resources for Army Civilians
for the Ongoing Situation in Japan
Messages, Memorandums and Related Policy Documents
Termination of AD Japan - 15 Apr 2011
Travel and Allowances Termination Order 04-15-11
Dept. of State - Japan Post Differential Corrections Will Be Published April 10
Mar 29, 2011
Delegation of Approval Authority for Foreign and Non-foreign Overseas Alternate Safe Haven Requests
for DoD Eligible Family Members (EFMs) Authorized Departure from Japan
28 Mar 2011 - ALARACT 116/2011 - Noncombatant Evacuation Order/OCONUS Evacuation Allowances.
Note: Refer to Section 3: DoD Civilian and/or Families
23 Mar 2011 OPM Memo: Relief and Reconstruction Efforts for Victims of the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami
23 Mar 2011 Message: -
Travel Arrangements for the Family Members During the Voluntary Authorized Departure from Designated Areas of Japan
18 Mar 2011 Memo: Under Secretary of Defense -
Update to Voluntary Authorized Departure of Eligible Family Members (EFMs) from the Island of Honshu, Japan
- 17 Mar 2011 Memo: Under Secretary of Defense - Authorized Departure of Eligible Family Members (EFMs) from the Island of Honshu, Japan
Frequently Asked Questions
Entitlement and Return Q and A
2011 - Tax Filing - Japan
FAQs: Joint Travel Regulation: Evacuations
FAQs: Management-Employee Relations Q&A Updated 3/21
USARPAC FAQs Updated 4/8
Travel Allowances FAQs: Authorized/Ordered/Evacuation
Departure of Civilian Employees and Eligible Family Members (EFM)
Non Appropriated Fund Employees
- Information for NAF Employees who are EFMs Authorized Departure from the island of Honshu Japan Updated 3/25
Disaster Response Guidance & Information
Department of Defense Instruction 1400.32 DoD Civilian Work Force Contingency and Emergency Planning,
April 24, 1995 DoD Civilian Work Force Contingency and Emergency Planning Guidelines and Procedures
OPM: Handbook on Pay and Leave Benefits for Federal Employees affected by Severe Weather Conditions or Other Emergency Situations
Office of Personnel Management: Human Capital Options during Natural Disasters
- Department of Army: Natural Disasters Smartbook
Evacuation/Emergency Travel related Documents
- Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) Note: Once the document opens, please go to Chapter 6, part A for Evacuation Travel Information
Funding/Financial Related Policy Documents
- Department of State Standardized Regulations (DSSR) - (Chapters 600-640 last updated 8/30/2009) Payments During an Ordered/Authorized Departure
Army Benefits Center - Civilian (ABC-C)
United States Army Japan and I Corps (Forward)
United States Army Garrison Japan
U. S. Forces, Japan
Japan Earthquake 2011 - A response community for the earthquake near Japan and resulting tsunami
United States Pacific Command - Operation Tomodachi Relief to Japan
US Dept of State
Link to OPM
OPM Guidance: Federal Annuitants living in Japan - guidance on annuity payment disruptions and report of death
- US Dept of State If you're concerned about a U.S. citizen in Japan, contact the State Department at 1.888.407.4747 within the U.S. or 1.202.501.4444 outside the U.S.
Periodic updates are done to this page ONLY to remove broken links.