9 October 2008
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Delegation of Authority - Increased Annual Premium Pay Limitation for Calendar Year (CY) 2008
- Reference enclosed DoD Waiver Deputy Secretary of Defense memorandum of April 9, 2008, subject: Increased Annual Premium Pay Limitation.
- Section 1101 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 (Public Law 110-181) extended the authority for an increased annual premium pay limitation of $212,100 through CY 2008. Pursuant to the Department of Defense (DoD) Waiver Implementation Provisions, 2008 Annual Limitation on Premium Pay for U.S. Central Command Area of Responsibility, eligible employees must be assigned to an overseas location in the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) area of responsibility; remain in the CENTCOM area of responsibility for at least 42 consecutive calendar days; and perform work in response to an emergency declared by the President, or in direct support of, or directly related to, a military operation, including a contingency operation as defined in 10 U.S. Code §101(a)(13). The DoD Waiver Implementation Provisions, issued under cover of the above-referenced Deputy Secretary of Defense memorandum, provide implementing instructions for the increased limitation for CY 2008.
- Under authority delegated to me by the Secretary of the Army, I hereby delegate to the Commanders of the Army Commands, the Commanders of the Army Service Component Commands, the Commanders/Superintendent of the Direct Reporting Units and the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army, the authority to determine when Department of the Army civilian employees under their purview meet the eligibility criteria for the increased annual premium pay limitation established in the DoD Waiver Implementation Provisions. For purposes of this delegation, the Principal Officials of the Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA), their staffs and other elements, Field Operating Agencies, Staff Support Agencies, and those Direct Reporting Units not covered above (to include the U.S. Army Acquisition Support Center) fall under the purview of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army. This authority shall be exercised in accordance with the DoD Waiver Implementation Provisions, and may be further delegated, in writing, no lower than to the commander or the civilian equivalent head of an activity.
- Within 14 days from the date of this memorandum, Army instructions and procedures for CY 2008 will be issued for documenting and reporting determinations that employees meet the eligibility criteria for the increased annual premium pay limitation under the DoD Waiver Implementation Provisions. The Assistant G-1 for Civilian Personnel will provide a report of the CY 2008 determinations to me not later than March 31, 2009. Management officials authorized to determine eligibility for the limitation are accountable officials responsible under Volume 5, Chapter 33 of DoD 7000.14-R, DoD Financial Management Regulations.
- This delegation is effective immediately and expires two years from September 23, 2008, unless earlier revoked or superseded.
- To the extent this memorandum impacts bargaining unit employees' conditions of employment, activities are reminded to meet their statutory labor relations obligations in its implementation.
Ronald J. James
Assistant Secretary of the Army
(Manpower and Reserve Affairs)
DoD Waiver Implementation Procedures - April 9, 2008
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
US ARMY FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY TRAINING AND DOCTRINE COMMAND
US ARMY MATERIEL COMMAND
ARMY SERVICE COMPONENT COMMANDS
US ARMY EUROPE
US ARMY CENTRAL
US ARMY NORTH
US ARMY SOUTH
US ARMY PACIFIC
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
US ARMY SPACE AND MISSILE DEFENSE COMMAND/ARMY STRATEGIC
EIGHTH US ARMY
DIRECT REPORTING UNITS
US ARMY NETWORK ENTERPRISE TECHNOLOGY COMMAND/9TH SIGNAL
US ARMY MEDICAL COMMAND
US ARMY INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY COMMAND
US ARMY CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND
US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
US ARMY MILITARY DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON
US ARMY TEST AND EVALUATION COMMAND
US MILITARY ACADEMY
US ARMY RESERVE COMMAND
US ARMY INSTALLATION MANAGEMENT COMMAND
DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF FOR INTELLIGENCE, ATTN: DAMI-CP
ASSISTANT G-1 FOR CIVILIAN PERSONNEL
DIRECTOR, CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES AGENCY
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE ARMY (MANPOWER AND RESERVE
AFFAIRS), ATTN: SAMR-PO
THE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL, ATTN: DAJA-LE