2 July, 2009
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Implementation of DoDI 1400.25, Volume 591, DoD Civilian Personnel Management System: Uniform Allowance Rates for DoD Civilian Employees, dated March 12, 2009
- DoDI 1400.25, Volume 591, DoD Civilian Personnel Management System: Uniform Allowance Rates for DoD Civilian Employees, dated March 12, 2009 (Enclosure 1).
- AR 670-10, Furnishing Uniforms or Paying Uniform Allowance to Civilian Employees, dated July 1, 1980 (Enclosure 2).
- 10 U.S. Code § 1593 (Enclosure 3).
- The DoD Instruction at reference a. establishes and updates policy, assigns responsibilities, and sets forth requirements for the authorization and amount of uniform allowances for DoD civilian employees as described in Section 1593 of Title 10, United States Code. It should be used in conjunction with the guidance contained in
AR 670-10 for decisions involving the authorization and payment of uniform allowances within the Department of Defense. Some provisions of reference b are superseded by publication of the DODI, e.g., dollar amount and terminology. AG1-CP will revise or amend reference b as soon as possible; in the meantime, the DODI guidance prevails in all cases there is policy conflict.
- Employees who are required to wear uniforms will be furnished the uniform at a cost not to exceed $800 per year or paid a uniform allowance equal to the cost of the uniform or $800 per year, whichever is less. Higher initial uniform allowance rates are in place for DoD uniformed police personnel ($1800) and DoD firefighters ($1600).
- To the extent that this implementation policy impacts bargaining unit members' conditions of employment, activities are reminded to meet their statutory labor relations obligations.
- This policy is effective immediately and will cover all payments for fiscal year 2009 and thereafter.
FOR THE DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF, G-1:
//original signed //
Assistant G-1 for Civilian Personnel
1. DoDI 1400.25, 12 Mar 09
2. AR 670-10, 1 Jul 80
3. 10 US Code § 1593
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
U.S. ARMY FORCES COMMAND
U.S. ARMY TRAINING AND DOCTRINE COMMAND
U.S. ARMY MATERIAL COMMAND
U.S. ARMY EUROPE
U.S. ARMY CENTRAL
U.S. ARMY NORTH
U.S. ARMY SOUTH
U.S. ARMY PACIFIC
U.S. ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
MILITARY SURFACE DEPLOYMENT AND DISTRIBUTION COMMAND
U.S. ARMY SPACE AND MISSILE DEFENSE COMMAND/ARMY STRATEGIC
U.S. ARMY NETWORK AND ENTERPRISE TECHNOLOGY COMMAND/9TH SIGNAL
U.S. ARMY MEDICAL COMMAND
U.S. ARMY INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY COMMAND
U.S. ARMY CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND
U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
U.S. ARMY MILITARY DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON
U.S. ARMY TEST AND EVALUATION COMMAND
U.S. ARMY RESERVE COMMAND
U.S. ARMY INSTALLATION MANAGEMENT COMMAND
SUPERINTENDENT, U.S. MILITARY ACADEMY
U.S. ARMY ACCESSIONS COMMAND
DIRECTOR, U.S. ARMY ACQUISITION SUPPORT CENTER
DIRECTOR, CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES AGENCY
DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF FOR INTELLIGENCE, ATTN: DAMI-CP
GENERAL COUNSEL, ATTN: SAGC
THE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL, ATTN: DAJA-LE
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF ARMY (MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS)
TITLE 10, Subtitle A, PART II , CHAPTER 81, § 1593 Uniform allowance: civilian employees
The Secretary of Defense may pay an allowance to each civilian employee of the Department of Defense who is required by law or regulation to wear a prescribed uniform in the performance of official duties.
In lieu of providing an allowance under paragraph (1), the Secretary may provide a uniform to a civilian employee referred to in such paragraph.
This subsection shall not apply with respect to a civilian employee of the Defense Intelligence Agency who is entitled to an allowance under section 1622 of this title.
- Amount of Allowance.- Notwithstanding section 5901 (a) of title 5, the amount of an allowance paid, and the cost of uniforms provided, under subsection (a) to a civilian employee may not exceed $400 per year.
- Treatment of Allowance.- An allowance paid, or uniform provided, under subsection (a) shall be treated in the same manner as is provided in section 5901 (c) of title 5 for an allowance paid under that section.
- Use of Appropriated Funds for Allowance.- Amounts appropriated annually to the Department of Defense for the pay of civilian employees may be used for uniforms, or for allowance for uniforms, as authorized by this section and section 5901 of title 5.