3 September 2008
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Implementation of Enhanced Retention Incentives Authorities
- The enclosed Assistant Secretary of the Army (Manpower and Reserve Affairs)
(ASA(M&RA)) memorandum, dated 19 August 2008, provides the additional authority to approve a retention incentive when an eligible employee is likely, in the absence of the incentive, to leave his or her position for a different position in the Federal service before the closure or relocation of the employee's office, facility, activity, or organization. An updated summary of the general provisions of the recruitment, relocation, and retention incentives is enclosed that includes this additional authority related to the retention incentive.
- The ASA(M&RA) has authorized further delegation of the authority, in writing,
and the additional authority must be exercised in strict accordance with the Addendum to the Department of Defense (DoD) Policy and Plan authorizing the use of recruitment, relocation, and retention incentives. Please include this additional authority in the implementation plans requested by my 3 April 2008 memorandum on implementation of recruitment, relocation, and retention incentives, and in your delegations of authority for recruitment, relocation, and retention incentives. Provide the updated documents to my office for review for compliance with the DoD implementing policies. Likewise, my office will monitor use of the authority in our quarterly and annual accomplishment reviews we report to the ASA(M&RA).
- This additional authority is exercised only when the employee receives general or specific written notice that his or her position may be affected by a closure or relocation (i.e., the position may move or be eliminated). The employee must affirm in writing or provide additional documentation acceptable to the authorizing official, showing the intention to leave for a different position in the Federal service. It must be essential to retain the employee's services for a specific period before the closure or relocation takes place. Inclusion of the location on the Base Realignment and Closure list is considered general notice for this purpose.
- This additional authority must be executed within your organization's current budget, and the employee will sign a service agreement prior to receiving payments. The service period must not extend past the date the employee's position is actually affected by closure or relocation. The service agreement will end for any of the reasons given in the DoD implementing policies, including if the closure or relocation is cancelled or no longer affects the employee's position, or if the employee moves to another position not affected by the closure or relocation, accepts the organization's offer to relocate, or moves to another position in the organization subject to closure or relocation, that is not covered by the service agreement.
- Retention incentives must be reviewed at least annually or whenever conditions change, to determine if payments are still warranted as well as to adjust payment amounts.
- My point of contact is Mr. Richard Maitz, telephone 703-325-0738, DSN 221-0738, or email Richard.Maitz@us.army.mil.
Assistant G-1 for Civilian Personnel
19 August 2008 (ASA(M&RA)) memorandum
Chart: Summary of General Provisions
3 April 2008 memorandum
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
US ARMY FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY TRAINING AND DOCTRINE COMMAND
US ARMY MATERIEL COMMAND
ARMY SERVICE COMPONENT COMMANDS
US ARMY EUROPE
US ARMY CENTRAL
US ARMY NORTH
US ARMY SOUTH
US ARMY PACIFIC
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
US ARMY SPACE AND MISSILE DEFENSE COMMAND/ARMY STRATEGIC
EIGHTH US ARMY
DIRECT REPORTING UNITS
US ARMY NETWORK ENTERPRISE TECHNOLOGY COMMAND/9TH SIGNAL
US ARMY MEDICAL COMMAND
US ARMY INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY COMMAND
US ARMY CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND
US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
US ARMY MILITARY DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON
US ARMY TEST AND EVALUATION COMMAND
US MILITARY ACADEMY
US ARMY RESERVE COMMAND
US ARMY INSTALLATION MANAGEMENT COMMAND
DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF FOR INTELLIGENCE, ATTN: DAMI-CP
ASSISTANT G-1 FOR CIVILIAN PERSONNEL
DIRECTOR, CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES AGENCY
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE ARMY (MANPOWER AND RESERVE
AFFAIRS), ATTN: SAMR-PO
THE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL, ATTN: DAJA-LE